I have to start with defense because it is going to be a bloodbath on this side of the ball because if the Titans don’t re-sign some of these players then there are going to be new starters at every level of the defense.
Now…you could argue that is a good thing because the defense was an absolute train wreck last season, but for a team that preaches continuity and how much easier things are the more time you spend in a system, this is a lot of turnover.
1. Cornerback: 1,810 snaps lost (Malcolm Butler, Desmond King, Tye Smith)
-Despite needing to replace so many snaps, this is a great example of why this list is important to know but it isn’t gospel. Kristian Fulton will likely step in as the teams starting boundary cornerback opposite Adoree Jackson while Chris Jackson and Breon Borders offer depth. Would still like to see them add a slot cornerback.
More from Titan Sized
- Tennessee Titans HC Mike Vrabel still believes in Rashad Weaver
- Tennessee Titans rookie Caleb Farley is missing reps but remains positive
- Tennessee Titans allow 4 prospects to tryout: Thoughts on each one
- 3 Tennessee Titans quarterback prospects in 2022 NFL Draft
- Tennessee Titans: 2 Worst-case scenarios during their 2021 NFL season
2. Defensive line: 1,484 snaps lost (Daquan Jones, Jack Crawford, Matt Dickerson)
-Losing two starters here hurts and that is what Jones and Crawford are. This is a position where one player (Teair Tart) might step up, but I have no idea who is going to fill the void left behind by Jack Crawford.
3. Safety: 936 snaps lost (Kenny Vaccaro)
-Losing Vaccaro is tough, but I think that we may see the Titans try to use Kevin Byard and Amani Hooker more interchangeably instead of having a safety who is clearly more of a strong safety than the other.
4. Linebacker: 779 snaps lost (Jayon Brown, Will Compton)
-Jayon Brown and Adoree Jackson are very similar and that is bad news for his odds to re-sign with the Titans. David Long should step in here to replace Brown well enough, but bringing back Will Compton would be a smart idea. Not only is Compton a great “glue” guy, but he also looked like the only linebacker who knew what they were doing on most plays.
5. EDGE: 540 snaps lost (Jadeveon Clowney, Vic Beasley)
-It is a little bit surprising that the Titans are only losing 540 snaps at EDGE because it feels like the position is bare aside from Harold Landry. However, Derick Roberson spent more time at EDGE than many people remember and Clowney/Beasley did very little.