Tennessee Titans NFL Power Rankings: Week 0
By Will Lomas
What they had to say:
"The Titans won a playoff game last season but replaced coach Mike Mularkey with former Houston Texans defensive coordinator Mike Vrabel. The most significant task will be finding a way to help Marcus Mariota become an elite quarterback. If second-year receiver Corey Davis can stay healthy, he’ll help Mariota reach that goal. The addition of free-agent RB Dion Lewis gives Tennessee a legitimate pass-catching threat to go along with Pro Bowl TE Delanie Walker. Defensively, Jurrell Casey, Kevin Byard, Adoree Jackson and free-agent CB Malcolm Butler round out what should be a solid 53-man roster. — Turron Davenport"
This is great analysis. Turron does a great job covering the Titans and in just a short time he has really done a good job familiarizing himself with Tennessee’s roster.
All of this feels right. Marcus Mariota has had some good stretches as the Titans quarterback but right now he falls into my middle tier. See, I think there are really only three levels of quarterback play:
More from Titans News
- Tennessee Titans suspiciously quiet about major draft need
- Tennessee Titans agree to new deal with star Jeffery Simmons
- Caesars Promo Code Expires Soon – Claim $1,250 Today
- 3 needs that are being overblown by Tennessee Titans fans
- Tennessee Titans have potential dilemmas in 2023 NFL Draft
1. Guys that can drags team to the playoffs with no talent around him. Think guys like Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, etc.
2. QBs that need some help, but can’t overcome a complete lack of talent.
3. Blake Bortles and co. Guys that destroy the playoff chances of the teams they play for, for years at a time with bad play. You would have to have an outstanding supporting cast to get to the playoffs.
The issue I have with this ranking (and I am sure that it was a composite and not Davenport) is that they rank the Tennessee Titans defense 20th! That is just a bad job. I’m not sure there are 5 teams in the NFL with more talent at defensive back and that doesn’t include guys like Brian Orakpo, Derrick Morgan, Jurrell Casey, Bennie Logan, Wesley Woodyard, Rashaan Evans, and Harold Landry.