2017 NFL Draft 49ers are Tennessee Titans worst nightmare
By Will Lomas
Why the San Francisco 49ers have the power to ruin draft night for the Tennessee Titans.
The Tennessee Titans are poised for a huge draft night on Thursday. At this point, there is only one team that I think could rain on the parade, the San Francisco 49ers.
No matter what rumors you believe the first four picks of the 2017 NFL Draft should go something like this:
More from Titans Draft
- Tennessee Titans suspiciously quiet about major draft need
- 3 needs that are being overblown by Tennessee Titans fans
- Tennessee Titans must be careful trading down in the 2023 NFL Draft
- Tennessee Titans should only spend their premium draft picks on offense
- Tennessee Titans connections may be crucial for a draft day trade
1. Cleveland: Myles Garrett
2. San Francisco: ???
3. Chicago Bears: Best defensive player available
4. Jacksonville Jaguars: Someone bad (historically) or Leonard Fournette/O.J. Howard
5. Tennessee Titans: Likely a trade with the Buffalo Bills or Cleveland Browns for Mitchell Trubisky.
Can you see where I am going with this? That’s right, if the San Francisco 49ers take Trubisky it could really hinder any sort of trade down option for the Tennessee Titans.
This would put the Tennessee Titans in a bad position because if they really don’t love anyone’s value at 5 they won’t be able to capitalize on it. Someone like Trubisky is the perfect trade up target.
There are some other options like Jonathan Allen, Christian McCaffery, Mike Williams, Malik Hooker, and Jamal Adams that could all be available at that point or a trade down. However, nothing drives the price up like a quarterback.
Would the Tennessee Titans cut their losses and take Marshon Lattimore at five instead of risking him being taken somewhere in the gap between five and the early the early teens where they would likely be picking.
Is that risk worth the compensation? Sure the larger drop suggests more compensation, but it also comes with risk of out missing out on your guy.
All in all, Tennessee Titans should be excited about the Trubisky at five trade potential with only the Bears and 49ers as real threats to ruin that. If one does take Trubisky, Tennessee Titans GM Jon Robinson will have to pull something out of a hat if he wants any value for the 5th pick.