The Tennessee Titans recently released Zach Mettenberger and that has me thinking, who is the next former starter (or spot starter) who could be cut.
More from Titans Free Agency
- ESPN suggests a Tennessee Titans reunion in free agency
- It is time for the Tennessee Titans to re-sign these three free agents
- Every Tennessee Titans free agent signing has this in common
- Will this be the next free agent signing for the Tennessee Titans?
- 3 free agents the Tennessee Titans should still target
You could make the argument that players like Brian Schwenke and Karl Klug both stand out as player who seem to be losing the numbers game, but my choice is more obvious.
As painful as it is for me (a University of Tennessee alumnus) to type this, I think the next man out is probably Justin Hunter.
Hunter has a lot of great qualities that you might want in a wide receiver. He is one of the best H/W/S guys to play for the Tennessee Titans in a long time which is noteworthy based on how Ruston Webster drafted.
However, he has never been great at catching the ball and his small frame and injuries leave some a lot of question marks on his potential. While he could be great if he tied it all together, that is the type of project that Jon Robinson has said he doesn’t want to take on.
On top of this, he really isn’t a fit in this offense. Hunter’s best role would be as a vertical speed player who wins at the top of his route 20+ yards down the field. However, the Tennessee Titans offense is now going to be set up around running, selling the run, forcing defenses to cover from sideline to sideline, and taking advantage of them when they don’t with quick, short to medium passes.
For a player who really isn’t built to go over the middle and who struggles with burst out of his breaks, there just isn’t a big need for his skill set.
Then their are the numbers, and I am not talking about cap room. The Tennessee Titans current wide receivers include: DGB, Kendall Wright, Harry Douglas, Rishard Matthews, Tre McBride, and Tajae Sharp.
More from Titan Sized
- Tennessee Titans suspiciously quiet about major draft need
- Tennessee Titans agree to new deal with star Jeffery Simmons
- Caesars Promo Code Expires Soon – Claim $1,250 Today
- 3 needs that are being overblown by Tennessee Titans fans
- Tennessee Titans have potential dilemmas in 2023 NFL Draft
That is a pretty deep until, and while there isn’t a proven star on that list, that isn’t anything that Justin Hunter will help.
As big of a fan as I am of his potential and of his college career, I just don’t know if Jon Robinson and company will sign on to him staying. Either he will be cut or if he has a big preaseason they may try to make a trade.