The Tennessee Titans just absolutely stole DeMarco Murray.
More from Titans Free Agency
- ESPN suggests a Tennessee Titans reunion in free agency
- It is time for the Tennessee Titans to re-sign these three free agents
- Every Tennessee Titans free agent signing has this in common
- Will this be the next free agent signing for the Tennessee Titans?
- 3 free agents the Tennessee Titans should still target
Not everyone is excited for the move (mostly because they just don’t trust the Titans to make a smart move in free agency) but for the most part people are starting to realize that this is a good move. Everyone from ESPN insiders to Greg Cosell to former GMs, have said that this move makes a lot of sense if the Titans are going to shift to more of an under center offense (which they are).
So, with that in mind it is time to look at the cost. Financially, this seems pretty easy. While the numbers aren’t official yet, it looks like it will be around $7 million per year. However, it is only about $3 million guaranteed annually, so that seems incredibly reasonable.
If it wasn’t already good enough, just remember that there are about three or four running backs who will make more than that in free agency this year who are either older, haven’t been as productive or both. He is easily the best name in “free agency” to this point based off of potential, fit, experience, and upside.
The big question is how much did they give up in terms of draft compensation. Somehow, someway it appears that they didn’t really give a pick up at all. The Titans have reportedly persuaded the Philadelphia Eagles to swap 4th round picks for DeMarco Murray.
All that is for the Tennessee Titans is just moving down 13 picks. While they give up a little bit of draft position, they fill one of their biggest needs, running back. So the still have seven picks in the 2016 NFL Draft, and one in every round, the only difference is that they have one less need.
More from Titan Sized
- Tennessee Titans suspiciously quiet about major draft need
- Tennessee Titans agree to new deal with star Jeffery Simmons
- Caesars Promo Code Expires Soon – Claim $1,250 Today
- 3 needs that are being overblown by Tennessee Titans fans
- Tennessee Titans have potential dilemmas in 2023 NFL Draft
I don’t know why other teams weren’t jumping on this, maybe because Murray reportedly sought out the Titans because he thought he was a good fit here and he was excited to play with Marcus Mariota, but Jon Robinson has done nothing but impress me in his short tenure as GM.
He hasn’t recklessly overpaid anyone, he has filled two middling needs in running back and center, he has made smart moves in the trade market, and he has identified needs on this roster. This is exciting to watch and I hope fans are really starting to get excited about the future of this team.