Dec 13, 2015; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Bears wide receiver Alshon Jeffery (17) reacts after scoring a touchdown against the Washington Redskins during the first half at Soldier Field. The Washington Redskins won 24-21. Mandatory Credit: Kamil Krzaczynski-USA TODAY Sports
The Tennessee Titans are in a great position this offseason, despite what it may look like on the surface. Just look at some of the things they have learned this season:
1. This team has its franchise quarterback in the young, record breaking Marcus Mariota.
2. Taylor Lewan has proven that he can be a top-10 left tackle in the league and that he can overcome slumps like his issues against the Houston Texans.
3. Delanie Walker has shown he can be a top-3 tight end in this league with a good quarterback like Mariota.
4. Brian Orakpo is back and next year after some conditioning he should be poised for another big season.
5. The Titans have one of the league’s premier defensive coordinators who did a lot with a little for the majority of the season.
So, with those assets already on the team, this team already has a lot of the cornerstones in place. That isn’t even thinking about documented stars like Jurrell Casey, and the two injured stars Derrick Morgan and Jason McCourty.
On top of that, the Titans are the odds on favorites to end up with the first pick. Throw in some potentially exciting changes at the top and a ton of money to spend and you have a great opportunity in Tennessee.
It is that last benefit (the cap space) that we will look at today, as we look at the top 5 of NFL.com’s top 20 potential free agents.