Aug 29, 2013; Minneapolis, MN, USA; Tennessee Titans running back Jackie Battle (22) rushes for 9 yards on fourth down against the Minnesota Vikings for a first down in the first quarter at Mall of America Field at H.H.H. Metrodome. Mandatory Credit: Bruce Kluckhohn-USA TODAY Sports
Twenty-two players must go.
From Aug. 30-31, the Tennessee Titans will trim their preseason roster from 75 players to 53. That will put them at the 53-player limit that they’re allowed when they play their Week 1 opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers. That game happens on Sun., Sep. 8.
Jim Wyatt of The Tennessean is one of a few media members who is reporting these cuts. Check Titan Sized to see the latest developments.
Below is a list of players who have already received the disappointing news. Look for more announcements throughout the day. All times are Central Time.
UPDATED: Aug. 31, 3:06 p.m.
- (3:38 p.m.) No surprises, however, if one wants to read in-between the lines, maybe a Jalen Parmele release spells good news for Jackie Battle?
- (4:10 p.m.) 10 Cuts Friday. 12 Remaining before 5PM CT Saturday.
- (5:57 p.m.) Battle appears safe. Even if Marc Mariani makes the team, he won’t return for the Week 1 opener. Neither with Zaviar Gooden.
- (10:40 a.m.) No major surprises from the first nine of 12 players released on Saturday. Tim Shaw was a veteran whom I thought could get the axe. Most of the other eight released players are possibilities for the practice squad. Three more to go.
- (10:43 a.m.) Another thing to note: Green Bay Packers released Vince Young.
- (11:18 a.m.) Marc Mariani placed on injured reserve.Along with Khalid Wooten cut, this all-but-clinches roster spot for Darius Reynaud. Two more cuts to go.
- (11:46 a.m.) Corey Lynch out. One more to go.
- (3:07 p.m.): Fernando Velasco is the last cut. Looks like Chris Spencer beat him out. They must like Spencer at OG more than Velasco… and they’re satisfied with Turner/Schwenke at center with Spencer as the third-team emergency.
Final observations later today in a separate post.