Last time we spoke, the Titans were being linked with safety Kenny Vaccaro in mock drafts. It changes daily, depending on which site you check. Their needs are really up in the air until free agency opens up and they makes some moves. Right now I can pick out their needs, but ranking how important they are as they head into the 2013 NFL Draft is impossible right now.
Here’s the Titans needs in my mind, as of this moment:
- O-line: The Titans have repeatedly said this is their top priority since the beginning of the offseason. Plenty of mocks have the Titans connected with OL in the first few rounds of the draft, but I think they’ll do their best to have this position all fixed up before the draft. Why roll the dice in the draft when you grab some solid veterans in free agency?
- Defensive end:Morgan and Wimbley are the only people of note on the roster at DE. The Titans should want to grab a veteran in free agency. They don’t need a rookie to have to tune up. They need someone who can immediately step into rotation and boost production. That’s not to say they won’t be tempted to take a rookie in the draft. They are vacant of depth here. If they do take one in the draft, I’d expect it to be early on.
- Tight end:I keep selling myself on the idea of the Titans adding free agent TE Dustin Keller. He’d come at a reasonable price and should give the Titans more production than they’ve gotten from Cook all these seasons. His skill should be evident from how well he’s done despite the poor play from QB Mark Sanchez. No way the Titans look to fill this void in the draft. It’ll be a veteran TE, it just depends on who. Please pick Keller.
- Safety: Yes, the Titans added veteran SS George Wilson already and I applaud that addition. That still doesn’t change the fact that they have no talented depth at the position and don’t have a long-term solution at the position. If there was ever a draft to find such a solution, this is it. I’d be happy with any of the top four safeties in this class. Any of them would make the position that much better.
- Running back: RB Javon Ringer won’t be back with the Titans and I’m okay with that. Ringer is a good RB, but he didn’t fit the Titans needs. They need to reunite Johnson with another big RB who excels at getting the tough, short yards. Harper doesn’t seem capable of that. I’m not quite sure whether the Titans will look to free agency or the draft to fill this need.
They could stand to add a big-bodied defensive tackle and some depth at linebacker, but neither of those positions seem to be in dire need.
By the time the draft rolls around, I truly believe the Titans will have addressed most of their major needs, meaning they’ll be open to draft whoever they like that falls to them. Wouldn’t that be lovely…
Well, that’s all I’ve got, Diary.
45 days ’til the draft.
You can find me on Twitter @JustinLStewart