For anyone who missed it, Tennessee Titans head coach Ken Whisenhunt appeared on the Jim Rome Show to address questions surrounding the Tennessee Titans. Among those questions:
- What’s the opportunity been like so far
- Why did Whisenhunt choose Tennessee over other situations?
- How has Jake Locker looked during OTAs? How much has he done?
- Are Locker’s injuries a result of bad luck or bad skill?
- Will Whisenhunt look for his own quarterback?
- What was Whisenhunt’s message to Delanie Walker about “6-7 cancers?” Was there anything to it?
- Does Ray Horton have the personnel to run his hybrid 3-4 defense?
Here are a few cliff notes from that interview:
- Getting a first-hand view of the team in Week 3 of the 2013-14 NFL season (Whisenhunt was the San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator) made him feel like the team was close.
- Whisenhunt felt a special bonding with general manager Ruston Webster.
- On Locker: “I like a lot of the qualities that he’s exhibited from a leadership perspective. The players like him. He works hard. He’s just got to do it.”
- During OTAs, Locker “did everything.”
- Biggest question with Locker: sustained improvement.
- Whisenhunt refers to Locker’s injuries as “freak injuries.”
- Whisenhunt didn’t deny the question of looking for his own quarterback, although it appears like Locker will get every opportunity to prove himself. As long as Locker remains healthy, then Whisenhunt is invested in developing him.
- There’s enough versatile defensive players where Coach Horton should have a successful unit in his first season. They have a chance to be a good defense.
Check out the entire interview at CBS Sports Network (link under sources).
CBS Sports Network