Week 17 AFC Power Rankings: Observations
- The Chargers have pulled off some quality road victories against playoff contenders (Kansas City Chiefs, Denver Broncos). Philip Rivers makes them the most dangerous team in the group that’s fighting for a No. 6 seed. They’d need a lot of help to get in, including a Dolphins loss to the Jets. Very unlikely.
- ‘Sideline Karma’ may keep Pittsburgh out of the playoffs.
- The Dolphins lose 19-0 to Buffalo. Despite that, they retained control of the AFC’s No. 6 wild-card spot. A home win against a Jets team would probably get them a wild-card matchup with Cincinnati. Of the three 8-7 teams, the Dolphins are the least scary.
- Unless the Broncos drop one against a hapless Raiders team, they have home field locked up.
- What happened to the Texans? Talk about a drop off. Did the talent regress this much, did they get too old or was it a fluke? Missing the playoffs is one thing. Losing 13 consecutive games? That’s bizarre.
- The Titans will likely finish No. 10 after next week (power ranking, not draft position). Very disappointing following their 3-1 start in what has proven as a weak conference.
Agree or disagree with any of these power rankings? Give your take in the comments, Twitter or Facebook.