Here are some NFL picks against the spread for Week 9 games during the 2013-14 NFL season. There are a lot of home underdogs this week. Typically, that means there’s a decent shot at some upsets.
Spread winners with (- or +) next to team name. Straight winners listed at end of each game.
Team at Team (Winner:)
Cincinnati Bengals at Miami Dolphins (+2.5) (WINNER: Dolphins)
Kansas City Chiefs (-3) at Buffalo Bills (WINNER: Bills)
Tennessee Titans at St. Louis Rams (Complete Pick, Analysis Wednesday Night)
San Diego Chargers (pick’em) at Washington Redskins (WINNER: Chargers)
Atlanta Falcons (+7.5) at Carolina Panthers (WINNER: Panthers)
Minnesota Vikings at Dallas Cowboys (-10) (WINNER: Cowboys)
New Orleans Saints (-5.5) at New York Jets (WINNER: Saints)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Seattle Seahawks (-16.5) (WINNER: Seahawks)
Philadelphia Eagles at Oakland Raiders (+2.5) (WINNER: Raiders)
Pittsburgh Steelers (+7) at New England Patriots (WINNER: Patriots)
Baltimore Ravens (-2.5) at Cleveland Browns (WINNER: Ravens)
Indianapolis Colts at Houston Texans (+2.5) (WINNER: Texans)
Chicago Bears (+10.5) at Green Bay Packers (WINNER: Packers)
Locks (Straight Picks): Seahawks
Hardest to Pick: Dolphins, Texans, Chargers
- Dolphins vs Bengals just looks like a sucker line bet. I’m biting.
- I was tempted to take the Bills, however, the Chiefs have only trailed once in the fourth quarter. That was against the Titans (17-13). The Titans lost 26-17.
- Redskins vs Chargers was tricky. Although the Redskins are in a must-win game at home, the Chargers are coming off a bye week with one of the NFL’s hottest quarterbacks (Philip Rivers). The Chargers have played well in previous East Coast trips (beat Eagles, almost beat Titans). Chargers squeak out a tough one (hope I’m wrong).
- Saints vs Jets features the Ryan brothers facing off against each other. Although Geno Smith defeated Tom Brady, Drew Brees doesn’t have the same problems with his receiver unit. Maybe it’s close but the Saints win.
- It’s always dangerous to give up huge points in divisional rivalries. Each team plays one another twice per season. That creates a familiarity that they wouldn’t have with other opponents. It can lead to some upsets.
- Could the Raiders return to .500? They’ve fared well at home. Their defense should keep it close against Philadelphia. Then again, Philadelphia should have plenty of experience against mobile quarterbacks like Terrelle Pryor.
- Seahawks are a lock to beat the Buccaneers, however, they usually keep games close. Buccaneers have a decent enough defense that could give the Seahawks offense some problems. The question is whether their offense can score anything against Seattle’s defense. Take caution on that 16.5-point line.
Straight Picks Record (Last Week): 10-3
Spread Picks Record (Last Week): 8-5
Straight Picks Record (Overall): 78-42
Spread Picks Record (Overall): 56-59
Titans Picks (Last Week): CORRECT (WEEK 7)
Titans Picks Record (Overall): 5-2
Agree or disagree with these picks? Give your take in the comments, Twitter or Facebook. Titans vs Rams pick comes out Wednesday.