Here’s this week’s edition of the Around the AFC South links and commentary. It seems things should be quieting down soon. The free agency market has significantly thinned out and teams are prepping for the draft. Now let’s look at what was going on in the AFC South this past week:
- The Houston Texans signed P Shane Lechler to a 3-year deal worth $5.5 million dollars. Apparently Lechler is pretty excited to be a part of the Texans, not only for the chance at a post season berth, but also to return home.
- WR Jordan Shipley has signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Shipley had played the last six games of this past season with the Jaguars. Shipley was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in 2010 with their third-round pick.
- Colts.com recaps RB Vick Ballard’s rookie season. The fifth-round pick did a pretty good job for the Colts, leading them in rushing with 814 yards.
- The Baltimore Ravens now have a presence in the AFC South, with Ed Reed signing a four-year deal with the Houston Texans and Bernard Pollard signing a one-year deal with the Tennessee Titans. Speaking of the Ravens, who do they still have left on defense?
- Tennessee is still looking at some bigger free agent DE’s. They could wait until the draft to bring in another rotational guy, and with each day that passes, that seems more and more likely.
- Former Colts DE Dwight Freeney looks like he may be headed to Denver after the Ravens successfully signed Elvis Dumervil.
It scares me when I’m looking for links for all four of these teams and the results are turning up a little dry. The real offseason is drawing near the end. There is still one thing to look forward to, though….
31 days until the 2013 NFL Draft.
You can find me on Twitter @JustinLStewart