What a week!
The Tennessee Titans blistered the first couple days of free agency with some big signings to fill some obvious needs. Hopefully this will put less pressure on the draft board, and let the Titans draft more based on talent, than need. Some of the second tier signings haven’t been able to make their way to the Titans yet though.
Here’s your free agency links to peruse:
- According to Paul Kuharsky, the Titans have spent $18.8M in cap space for the coming year. That was about the number they had in free space before FA started. Expect some more cuts and re worked deals in the next few weeks in order to free up enough for the incoming rookie class.
- WR Brian Gibson from the Rams was scheduled to visit the Titans on Friday, but alas never made it out of Miami. The whole WR/ Nate Washington story has thrown many of us a curve ball and are some unexpected developments.
- DE Matt Shaughnessy was another FA the Titans had scheduled for a Friday visit. The Cardinals seemed to have locked him up before he could get on the plane as well.
- Sam Monson over at PFF has a good article on 5 FA signings that make no sense. Guess who made the list? The Titans and Shonn Greene. The Greene signing is the most controversial by far to this point by Titans fans. The reviews are very mixed as his ability to run the ball. I don’t think he’s here to do much more than get the tough short yards, or more importantly be the 4 minute drill back.
- Apparently the Titans are really working on making over their linebacker depth. After signing Moise Fokou, they are still bringing in linebackers to visit.
The Titans have done a good job so far, and at least deserve credit for coming out strong.
You can follow me on Twitter @gunnelsj