This one is on you Bud Adams. Peyton Manning is a Bronco. What do the Titans do now? Some will argue that the season is over now that Manning has chosen Denver over Tennessee. With Manning, the Titans would have been viewed as one of the favorites to make it to the Super Bowl this year. Without Manning, the Titans will be viewed as they usually are: a below average-to-average team. Obviously, it would have been a huge acquisition to get Peyton Manning, but it is not the end of the world that the team couldn’t get the deal done, even though it will be an uphill climb. Manning is gone, so the team now needs to do everything it can to build around the pieces that are already in place. Unfortunately, Bud Adams’ desire to get Manning has made that task more difficult than it should have been. Because the Titans have been so focused on Manning, they have missed out on the following players:
1. Mario Williams – signed with Buffalo. He probably would have been too expensive for the Titans, but we will never know.
2. John Abraham – resigned with Atlanta. The Titans need a pass rusher. Abraham is a pass rusher. They couldn’t pursue him because they had no idea how much money they would have if Manning were to sign with them.
3. Chris Myers – resigned with Houston. The Titans need a quality center. Myers is a quality center. Repeat the comments about Abraham above – just insert Myers’ name.
4. Scott Wells – signed with St. Louis. This is starting to get annoying. You get the point.
5. Jason Jones – signed with Seattle. He signed a 1 year deal for $4 million. Does anyone reading this truly believe that the Titans were not interested in keeping Jones for that price? This one is on Webster. That deal wouldn’t have hindered signing Manning. I believe that Jones left the Titans because management was so focused on Manning that they neglected even dealing with him.
So, what can the team do now? Good question and I don’t really have an answer. They need to sign a pass rusher and some more veteran depth on the Defensive Line. They still need to get a center to replace Amano – Jeff Saturday perhaps. And now, more important than just a few weeks ago, they need to make this draft count. No missed picks. No gambles. They need to draft players that can produce now, because they are going to need them. Bud Adams and Peyton Manning made sure of that.